What is Active Rehab?
- If you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident and have an active claim with ICBC, you may be entitled to one-on-one exercise-based rehabilitation with a kinesiologist.
- Our kinesiologists are experienced treating the full range of injuries caused by MVAs, and will support you through your recovery journey.
Am I ready for Active Rehab?
- In most cases, yes. The earlier we reintroduce proper movement, the better your outcome will be.
- Your kinesiologist will work within your tolerated pain level and range of motion to design a treatment plan that compliments your other treatments.
- Common injuries we see are low back pain, whiplash, sciatica, neck pain and stiffness, arm and hand numbness, and concussions.
What will my first appointment look like?
- Once you’ve been approved by ICBC to begin active rehab, your first appointment will be a 60-minute assessment, during which you will discuss the injuries sustained in your accident, your current complaints and limitations, and complete a comprehensive physical assessment.
- Together with your kinesiologist, you will develop an exercise-based treatment plan that suits your schedule and needs.
How will I progress?
- After your initial assessment, your kinesiologist will book your subsequent 45-minute one-on-one active rehab sessions in our private on-site gym.
- Your kinesiologist will provide you with a detailed home exercise program to help you progress outside of your in-clinic sessions.
Accidents on or after April 1, 2019:
- You are automatically approved for 12 active rehab sessions for the first 12 weeks after your accident. If you do not complete 12 sessions during this time, or require additional treatment, your Kinesiologist will request a treatment extension from ICBC.
Accidents prior to April 1, 2019:
- You will require pre-approval from ICBC to complete your initial assessment and begin treatment.
- Get a referral for active rehab from your doctor, and Total Therapy will submit your referral to ICBC and request an initial assessment.
- After your assessment, your kinesiologist will request approval for subsequent treatments, and notify you when you are approved.
Rates Effective October 22, 2018
|Private (Gym)||Complimentary Phone Consultation (30 min)
One-on-One (60 min)
One-on-One (45 min)
One-on-One (30 min)
Group training (60 min)
Group training (45 min)
Group training (30 min)
|ICBC||Visit Fee (Gym)
Visit Fee (Pool), plus facility drop-in fee
|Private (Pool)||Same as private gym rates, plus facility drop-in fee|
Recovering from an injury can be a difficult process. During this time, you need a professional, supportive team behind you to help you recover quickly and fully. At Total Therapy, our highly-trained multidisciplinary staff can provide you with the care you need to get back on your feet again.
Kinesiologists play an integral role in the later stages of the recovery process for any serious injury. Our university-educated kinesiologists combine the principles of biomechanics with their knowledge of human anatomy to help you progress through your recovery quickly and safely using these CORE principles:
(C)ustomized Treatment Plans – As an active rehabilitation client, you are thoroughly assessed by our kinesiologists and have a personalized treatment plan developed for you that addresses your needs and goals.
(O)ptimal Communication – At Total Therapy, you are an equal partner in any treatment plan. We pride ourselves on dialogue and consultation so that your needs are met. We also establish contact with other practitioners such as your physiotherapist and doctor to ensure that any relevant information regarding your case is effectively communicated and shared, providing you with a comprehensive and coherent treatment plan.
(R)esults & Quality Assurance – All kinesiologists at Total Therapy undergo several months of in-staff training prior to working with active rehabilitation clients. Quality of service is guaranteed by our skilled group of practitioners from start to finish.
(E)xercise Compliance – Our goal is to foster independence and provide you with a program that you find challenging and engaging. We give you both the tools and the support you need to stay motivated and work independently, so you maintain the gains you’ve worked so hard to achieve.
A doctor’s referral is required for active rehabilitation. We offer active rehabilitation services out of our North Burnaby, Metrotown, and North Vancouver locations. Please contact us for more information!