Needling is offered by physiotherapists with specialized training in acupuncture or intramuscular stimulation (IMS), and by our Registered Acupuncturist. For more information about Physiotherapy, please click here.
Is acupuncture right for me?
- Our Registered Acupuncturist has extensive experience treating patients with diverse health issues ranging from chronic pain and headaches to anxiety and addiction, and beyond.
- Acupuncture is a safe and versatile treatment method, and can be personalized to meet your unique needs and symptoms, helping you get back to being your best.
How does acupuncture treatment with a Registered Acupuncturist differ from dry needling treatment with a Physiotherapist?
- Physiotherapists use needles in an area of pain or injury in order to promote local blood flow and reduce inflammation and pain. This is a very effective method of treating local, acute musculoskeletal issues.
- Our Registered Acupuncturist practices Traditional Chinese Medicine Acupuncture, which takes the whole body into consideration and is an effective treatment for a wide range of health concerns beyond musculoskeletal issues.
What will my first Acupuncture appointment be like?
- Your Acupuncturist will conduct a thorough assessment before initiating treatment, taking you individual health history into account to design your treatment plan.
- Following your assessment, your Acupuncturist will work with you to determine the best course of treatment for your condition and symptoms.
- Our Registered Acupuncturist offers additional treatment modalities to compliment acupuncture treatment including cupping, biopuncture, and Vitamin B12 injections. Please read more about each of these services below.
If you have been involved in an accident on or after April 1, 2019, ICBC will automatically approve you for the following services with an end date of 12 weeks after the accident:
- 25 physiotherapy sessions
- 25 chiropractic sessions
- 12 massage therapy sessions
- 12 active rehab sessions
- 12 clinical counselling sessions
- 12 acupuncture sessions
Please note, that this automatic approval does not apply if you have sought treatment elsewhere, and are switching to Total Therapy. In this case, Total Therapy will be required to seek approval from ICBC prior to starting treatment with us. Additionally, ICBC will not approve treatment that was not sought in the first 12 weeks post-injury. For example, if you begin massage therapy and physiotherapy within the first 12 weeks, but not chiropractic, ICBC will not fund chiropractic treatment after this date. Therefore, it is advised that you should seek treatment with each discipline that you anticipate needing during your recovery within the first 12 weeks post-injury. Please ask your therapist for recommendations if you are unsure which other services may be beneficial.
What’s required from ICBC patients?
- Legal First and Last Name
- Claim Number
- Personal Health Number* (optional, but can cause delays with ICBC)
- Current Working Status
- GP referral* (for claims prior to April 1st 2019)
Full FAQ here.
Rates Effective October 7, 2019
|MSP Premium Assistance||Initial visit
Acupuncture is an ancient healing form developed over thousands of years. It follows the belief that when the body and mind live in balance, there is good health and only when that balance is broken or compromised there is illness or pain. Hair-thin needles are used, stimulating certain points along the body, regulating those imbalances, stimulating the immune and nervous systems and increasing blood flow. Certain hormones are then released by the body, for example serotonin, which help the patient feel relaxed and rested as well as endorphins, the body’s natural pain killers.
Why Acupuncture works, is a subject of constant, ongoing studies and we continuously further our understanding of its mechanisms of action. One thing is clear, and that is that it works for a wide range of conditions with great success. The WHO recognizes the benefits of Acupuncture for over 50 different conditions, and it is being more widely accepted in clinical as well as hospital settings around the world.
The best aspect of Acupuncture is that it is natural, and thus adverse side effects are very rare. Practised by a registered, trained acupuncturist it is safe, even in pregnancy and in fragile states of health.
Some commonly treated issues include:
- Pain, any kind of pain whether chronic or acute
- Digestive disorders
- Hormonal imbalances
- Bell’s palsy
- Respiratory illnesses
- Chronic fatigue
- Menopausal symptoms
Acupuncture is also very helpful in treating pregnancy related issues such as:
- Morning sickness
- Back pain
- Pain from Varicose veins
- Postpartum depression
- Labour preparation
- Postpartum care
B 12 Vitamin shots for boosting energy and for healthy nerve and brain function.
Vitamin B 12 is necessary for for red blood cell formation, DNA synthesis, nerve cell health as well as maintaining healthy neurological function.
Symptoms of B12 deficiency include:
- Fatigue, Low energy
- Muscle weakness
- Depression, Anxiety
- Poor vision
- Pins and needles sensation
B12 is not produced in the body, and therefore it is important that enough is consumed through food. It is found in animal based foods, or through supplements.
Reasons for deficiency include:
- Age- As the body gets older it becomes more difficult to properly absorb nutrients found in food
- Celiac, Crohn’s, gastritis and many other digestive issues.
- Vegan or Vegetarian diets
Benefits of B 12 injections include:
- Boost in energy
- Healthier immune system
- Accelerated metabolic rate
Having vitamin injections rather than taking it as an oral supplement also has many benefits. For those suffering from deficiencies due to poor absorption, an injection assures that all of the Vitamins go directly through the blood rather than the digestive tract. Most people will feel an immediate boost of energy as well with the injection as the Vitamin is directly absorbed into the system.
Cupping involves suction using glass or plastic cups placed strategically on the body, often on the back, for better health. Cupping helps promote blood and Qi circulation in the body, releasing tension and pain. They can also release blockages deeper within the body by bringing up and releasing energy in areas of the body with strong Qi or energy. Although most commonly used for musculoskeletal pain and tension, cupping can also help treat a variety of disorders including, but not limited to, asthma, early symptoms of colds and flu, stress, cellulitis and digestive issues. Cups are often retained for 10-20 minutes, or glided, giving the patient the feeling of having had a deep tissue massage as the same muscle release is achieved.
The feeling is difficult to describe, usually quite pleasant, sometimes slightly uncomfortable, but not painful, and the relaxing effects felt afterwards are immediate. Depending on what results are sought by the treatment, as well as the level of comfort of the patient, cupping can be very gentle or more intense. After a treatment, the feeling is one of revitalization and relaxation.
Some bruise-like marks will usually appear on the body as a result of blood being brought up to the surface of the skin, but generally dissipate within 3-4 days. Cupping is a very safe therapy, nevertheless it is not recommended for patients suffering from severe skin inflammation or those who are prone to convulsions as it may make those conditions worse. Treatment is always preceded by a consultation, and your practitioner will only ever work within your comfort level.
Biopuncture, also known as injection therapy, is a therapy involving the injection of small amounts of natural botanical and homeopathic substances into specific areas, often Acupoints in order to stimulate an immune response. It has been used in Germany for over 50 years with great success. Most products are still manufactured in Germany following the strictest safety guidelines. It is used for acute and chronic musculoskeletal injuries, as well as allergies, asthma, chronic inflammation, headaches and hormonal imbalances as well as many other ailments.
Biopuncture is safe, as the products injected are highly diluted natural products. Adverse effects are very rare, usually only involving slight bruising in the area of the injection or some soreness lasting a few hours or up to a day. The product is injected into muscle or just under the skin. These low doses of homeopathic or plant derived products stimulate the immune system, lymphatic drainage and aides inflammation in order to speed healing in a safe and effective manner. Used in combination with acupuncture treatments, it can greatly help speed up recovery and assure lasting results.